dinsdag 21 juli 2009

Washington D.C. - Department of State


I quickly walked all the way up Massachussets Avenue, along Embassy Row to the Belgian Embassy where I met some officials to introduce myself and the project.
On my way there, I came across some more demonstrators of Iran, whom we had already met before in the streets of Georgetown, claiming Democracy for their country.

Then, I took the bus to the Air and Space Museum. It took me over an hour and gave me the opportunity to do some "people watching", one of my favourite activities.
On Pensylvania Avenue the bus was caught in a traffic jam. When I looked out of the window, I realised what was the cause. We were exactly behind the White House and I saw the official cars pull out of the driveway, followed by the presidential car, decorated with the flags. Tourists and paparazzi were busy taking pictures ...
After a few minutes, everything went back to normal.

Our next appointment was at the United States Department of State. We were welcomed by Britta Bjornlund, the Study of U.S. Branch Chief, followed by Mallory Kirsh, the Alumni Coordinator. She explained how to register on the Fulbright Alumni Website and to get access to innumerable online resources. Rebecca Smoak and her colleague from the Office of English Language told us what books, programmes and resources the U.S. embassy in our country can provide us with for our English lessons.
Jennifer Phillips, the Programme Officer, asked us to give her feedback on our programme. As could be expected, the response was very positive. Some very nice words were said, and some of them will linger in my mind for a long time.
It was time to give us our certificates. Our names were called and we received the official document stating that we had participated in the Study of the United States Institute for Secondary School Educators.
It was a moving moment. We had some pictures taken next to the American flag and the photos of Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten