zaterdag 25 juli 2009

Quiet Amherst

After two weeks of living out of my suitcase, I was happy to find my room and get settled. Breakfast at Valentine's was just fine: scrambled eggs and bacon and a waffle with syrop. Hello calories!
On my way back to Mayo-Smith, I went to the farmers market. I regretted not taking my camera, because it was such a colourful sight. Flowers, vegetables and fruit were displayed in little stalls and everything looked tasty and appetizing. I bought some olive bread and goat's cheese and dark tomatoes, and some blueberries for my evening meal (delicious).
It was mostly a lazy day. I did the laundry and completed the blog. I posted some photos on photobucket.
After lunch I suddenly felt really tired and went to bed for a couple of hours. It was a very hot day and maybe the heat and the fatigue of the past trip added up.
Tonight, I am my usual self again. I sat in the lounge with some others and we watched part of "Dances with Wolves". On American television, movies are interrupted all the time with commercials. It is really unpleasant. So, we had to find a way to enjoy it and we started analysing the movie based on what we had learned about the Native Americans when we were in the West. We discovered bits and pieces of different traditions, such as, for example, the wedding dress with the elk teeth as we saw it in the Crow reservation. We commented on the different hairstyles of women and men, etc.

Mayo-Smith is a big dorm with a strange structure: it's like a maze. You can get lost in it. It has been beautifully renovated and the rooms and facilities are the same as in our previous dorm.

It will be our "home away from home" to live with our "international family" for one more week!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten