zondag 26 juli 2009

Tanglewood


Up at 7 a.m. and breakfast till 8.30. An hour later I had a little Skype-session with my husband. I am not convinced this Skype hype is my thing. Often my husband's face breaks up into little squares and mine gets stuck on a crooked smile. There are nicer things to talk to. I find it distracting and half of the conversation is about how to fix this or that problem. No such trouble with a normal, old-fashioned phone! Of course, I must admit that it's nice to "see" your partner, although I still remembered his face after 5 weeks... What is really cool, is that he could see my (messy) room, with suitcases half undone, and the view from the window, onto the parking lot!
We kept it rather short and said our goodbyes till next week, when we'll meet for real.

We were lucky to have two bikes available this weekend. So, Snjezana and I cycled to the supermarket. It was an easy and very quick trip all the way down. We filled up my backpack with groceries, and steered back to the dorm ... uphill this time, and a lot more slowly.
It was really nice though and we wished we could have the bikes for the rest of the week.

I prepared myself a tasty picnic with lettuce, tuna salad, cherry tomatoes, sushi and a raspberry doughnut for dessert. At half past twelve, Rachel picked us up to bring us to Tanglewood, at Lenox, MA. It was about 1 1/2 hour away. The Tanglewood Festival was first created by a group of music-loving summer residents of the Berkshires, in August 1934. Today, it annually draws more than 300.000 visitors. The setting of this classical music festival is the gorgeous setting of the Tappan family estate with open air concert hall, "The Serge Koussevitzky Music Shed" and over 210 acres of lawns and meadows.

We were meant to sit on the lawn, and enjoy our picnic while listening to the concert. But there was the rain ... again ... to spoil the plans. Luckily, we had seats under the Shed. Today's concert featured The Boston Symphony Orchestra, conducted by David Robertson, playing Harris, Thomson, Barber and Bernstein, as well as Thomas Hampson, American baritone, who is among the world's most celebrated sought-after singers performing on the stage today.
I am sorry to say that all this talent could not seduce me as much as the intimate music we listened to at the Blue Note. This is, of course, a matter of personal taste.

When the music stopped, the sun returned and we could admire the park in all its beauty.

Back at the dorm by 7, I went up to the computer room, as did most of us, to work on my project. I'd like to finish it completely by tomorrow afternoon.

We've just had another thunderstorm, short and heavy, but the heat of the day seems to stay inside the building. The bedrooms are saunas and the fan doesn't help. All it does is make the dust whirl around before it settles back into the corners and between the floorboards... It will be hard to fall asleep.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten